Regional Coordinator of Etowah GYSTC
Georgia Highlands College
|Job Description Summary
This position shall be the principle executive and operations officer of the Etowah regional Georgia Youth Science & Technology Center (GYSTC) located on the campus of Georgia Highlands College in Rome, GA. He/she shall report to a designee of the President of Georgia Highlands College and the Etowah GYSTC Board of Directors and shall oversee all operations of the center. The Regional Coordinator will also have responsibility for reporting all programming to the state headquarters of GYSTC Inc.
Georgia Highlands is a growing and progressive institution with opportunities for the individual selected to grow with us. With a focus on employee wellness and development, the culture is warm and embracing, while the work is fast paced and challenging.
This is an excellent opportunity to impact the lives of literally thousands of students and their families.
• Bachelor’s Degree in related field and 5 years experience in teaching science at the elementary or middle school level.
• Experience is highly desirable or a demonstrated ability to teach and develop science, technology, or mathematics curriculum.
• Must be able to regularly travel to various campuses and member systems
• Evening work, weekend work, and travel will be required.
• Initiate and manage center activities and program delivery, ensuring high quality offerings which address the GYSTC goal of promoting interest and enthusiasm in science and technology, particularly among elementary and middle school teachers and students.
• Establish working relationships with superintendents, curriculum directors, teachers, individuals, and organizations involved in or are prospects for involvement in GYSTC programs. Identify these contacts and maintain a contact database.
• Develop at least one interactive “hand-on” science/technology course or summer camp per year. The course will be shared with other centers.
• Contribute program resources to the state office to be added to the state resource list, which will be shared among all centers.
• Coordinate an annual local/community event, when appropriate.
• Perform other duties as requested by the Board of Directors or the state headquarters of GYSTC.
• Research existing resources and needs of area school systems with regard to science and technology instruction.
• Research existing resources and needs of area business and industry with regard to science/technology related employment.
• Each year, develop and execute a fund-raising campaign, with input and support from the Etowah Board of Directors and the state GYSTC development personnel.
• Maintain a list of current donors to Etowah GYSTC, profiling amount and date given, fiscal year-end, budget deadlines, officers of the company, in-kind donations.
• Deliver presentations and demonstrations to civic and school groups on behalf of GYSTC.
• Develop a quarterly report on center activities and accomplishments. Distribute report to the Regional Board of Directors and the state headquarters organization.
• Notify local newspapers, radio and television stations of GYSTC activities.
• Stay abreast of science and technology-related current events. Any current teaching certifications must be maintained.
• Attend science and technology conferences when possible. When appropriate, deliver presentations at these events.
|Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Strong ability to teach and develop science, technology, or mathematics curriculum.
• Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
• Ability to function independently and to initiate, manage and evaluate a variety of programs and activities are required.
• Strong administrative skills and experience in financial management, budgeting, grant writing, and fundraising is preferred.
• Applicant must maintain professional memberships in job-related academic organizations.
|Special Instructions to Applicants
Attach unofficial transcripts, curriculum vitae, professional references and cover letter with the application. Official transcripts and three letters of recommendation will be required upon offer of employment.
Position open until filled and applications will be screened as received.